Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Using the lost space behind your doors

My house was built a long time ago so of course we have small closets and some oddly shaped rooms. Before we made changes to our kitchen it was 8'x12' with THREE doorways built in. What were they thinking! Since then we've been working to make it into something much better and useful. There are still many unfinished projects, such as molding (that you can see in my picture). I'm always trying to find new and better uses of the oddities of the home. Here I think I hit on something pretty good.

As you can see from the picture the depth behind my basement door is only the amount of the door molding. But I wanted to use that space, a door that is usually left open, for something useful and attractive. I came up with a curtain rod for my table cloth. I added that cute doily for a little white in the picture. My kitchen is now a large 12 x20 gathering space of cottage blue and white. This lovely tablecloth that my parents brought home from Germany in the early 70's gives such a homey feel and when you look closely at it you can really appreciate all the work that went into it.

Don't forget those tiny spaces behind your door, I'm sure there are so many better uses than dust gathering:)

Have fun!

~Renee

VISIT THE LINKS BELOW FOR SOME AMAZING IDEAS!

Momma Hens Coop

1 comment:

Lace and Lovelies said...

What a creative idea and an attractive way to decorate and use the otherwise empty space. Well done!esersera