Sunday, April 3, 2011

upcycle project for all


This is one of my favorite upcycle projects ever. I have so many of these types of project to post - just not the time to do so.

This bottle is actually a rubbing alcohol bottle (a fantastic thing to use when cleaning your bathroom/kitchen. Just pour contents into a recycled spray bottle and your fixtures and porcelain will shine with disinfected gleaminess) that I first painted with gesso and used the bottle's shape to design a kind of circus tent look. The way these bright colors show off in your garden is amazing. After you've finished painting remember to spray any clear (cheap) high gloss paint. I usually do about 3 or so coasts. This bottle has hung in my garden for three years now - summer and winter - and it looks the same today, as it did when I first planted the impatiens. These flowers, when kept well watered and given a little respite from the afternoon summer sun grew just as large as flowers planted in the ground.

What a great way to get your kids involved. How great would these look in solid colors with white pokadots - your kids would feel so proud!

I've shared this with...
Momma Hens Coop



Another bottle project is this 3ltr soda bottle. Again,
1. cover with gesso first and let dry
2. paint whatever your heart desires.
3. I painted a random design using all dots - very fun but doesn't really show from a distance, so keep this where people get in and can view it up close.
4. I had originally thought this to be a bird feeder, but it didn't work out. I did enjoy the trailing hot pink petunia here. When it grew to full maturity it was just stunning.


If you do this project, please share it - I would love to see everyone not throwing out their decent sized bottles to upcycle!

No comments: